We encourage you to apply for unemployment benefits online. The online system is only available in English at this time.
If you need help in another language, you can:
- Have someone you trust help you with the English application.
- Use an internet tool to translate the Unemployment Insurance application for you.
These Internet tools are not perfect, but they work well enough to get you through the process.
- Google Translate extension: Google offers a translation tool for your internet browser. This tool automatically translates text on a web page. To download and use this tool, you need the Google Chrome web browser (free to download). Go to the extension
- Google Translate online tool: You can also copy and paste text from the Unemployment Insurance Application into the Google Translate web page. https://translate.google.com/
- Yandex Translate: You can copy and paste text from the Unemployment Insurance Application into the Yandex translator tool https://translate.yandex.com/
If you cannot use the online application, you can call us on the phone. Tell the Customer Service representative the language you want to use and they will connect the phone call with an interpreter to help you.
- Twin Cities area: 651-296-3644
- Greater Minnesota: 1-877-898-9090;
- TTY - for the hearing impaired: 1-866-814-1252
- Make your language choice: press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish, 3 for Hmong, or 4 for Somali.
(If you need another language, press 1 and follow the steps below to speak to a representative and request an interpreter.)
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Enter your password and then press the # key.
OR -If you are not asked to enter your password, press 2, and then press 0 to speak to a representative.
- Press 2 for other options.
- Press 3 for answers to commonly asked questions or to speak with a representative, then press 0 to speak to a representative.