Unemployment benefits are taxable income under both federal and Minnesota state law.
All IRS Forms 1099-G have been mailed as of January 18, 2017 to everyone who was paid unemployment benefits in 2016. The form was mailed to the address listed in your account as of December 31, 2016.
Accessing year end tax information
To view and print your Form 1099-G from your online account:
- Log in to your account
- On My Home Page, select View and Maintain My Account (on the left navigation bar).
- Select My 1099-G's* from the expanded list.
- Select the link of the year you want to view.
NOTE: To view and print your 1099-G, you need an installed copy of Adobe Reader 5.0 or higher.
To hear 1099-G information by phone:
- Call the automated phone system:
- Twin Cities area: 651-296-3644
- Greater Minnesota:1-877-898-9090
- TTY - for the hearing impaired: 1-866-814-1252 2.
- Make your language choice: English, Spanish, Hmong, or Somali.
(If you need another language, follow the steps on the Contact Customer Service page to speak to a representative and request an interpreter.)
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Enter your password and then press the # key.
- You may hear important messages about your account. After any messages, listen to your options and follow these steps:
- Press 2 for either Other Options or Other account information (what you will hear depends on your account status).
- Listen to your options and then:
- Press 2 for Other account information
- Press 3 for Information needed to file your income taxes.
The amount on IRS Form 1099-G does not include any overpayments or adjustments to your account. It only shows payments made to you.
Contact the Internal Revenue Service (www.irs.gov), or the Minnesota Department of Revenue (www.revenue.state.mn.us) if you need help with how to make adjustments or any other tax assistance.
To print a list of repayments made:
- Log in to your account.
- On My Home Page, click View and Maintain My Account (on the left navigation bar).
- Click Prior Repayments Made.
- Federal income tax related questions: contact the Internal Revenue Service at www.irs.gov or 1-800-829-1040.
- State income tax related questions: contact the Minnesota Department of Revenue at www.revenue.state.mn.us