When can I expect my first payment?
The soonest you will receive a payment is during the third week of your benefit account.
Why do I have to wait until the third week?
- You always request benefits for a past week. You cannot request benefits for the current week or a week in the future.
- The first week you are eligible for benefits is your nonpayable week (see explanation below).
- For most applicants, the second week is the first payable week and is requested the third week of their account.
Your first payment may be delayed beyond the third week if:
The first week you are eligible for unemployment benefits is your nonpayable week. Minnesota law requires a nonpayable week before you can be paid benefits. For a week to qualify as your nonpayable week, you must:
- Submit an application for benefits.
- Submit a timely Request for Benefit Payment.
- Be eligible for benefits for the week.
There is only one nonpayable week in the 52 weeks after you apply. If you are unemployed again within one year of your account date, you will not have another nonpayable week.